Fireflies: Art Appreciation: You Are My Work of Art!         

Aug 29, 2012

Art Appreciation: You Are My Work of Art!


From the Author:
You Are My Work of Art”, my new book has been in development for many years. The fine art world is difficult for some to appreciate, the notion being pervasive that it is hard to understand, and beyond the average person to grasp. It frightens many away from something that has always brought me a tremendous amount of joy. As my son was growing up, our goal was to introduce him to the world of art and have him feel it was created for him and speaking to him, no matter what avocation he eventually would choose to pursue.
How does one instill a sense of belonging in children and forever cast away the sense of intimidation that has perpetuated in the world of fine art? How does one connect a young child to the iconic images of the art world, and instill an early sense of joy when encountering great art?
We actively toured museums around the world with our son, and engaged him in conversations about the images and how they related to him and his own world.
I wondered how to share the experience with other children that had limited opportunities for such field trips. The sketches developed over the years, eventually finding their way into book form. The poem followed as the images were assembled, designed to introduce any child (and perhaps even their parent) to 8 famous paintings for the very first time. I hope you enjoy it and look forward to hearing your review.
Sue DiCicco

From Deni:
I found this book a week before heading to DC to await the arrival of my third grandchild.  I immediately fell in love with it, so into the suitcase it went.   It captured what I was talking about in an early Fireflies' post - Training your child to appreciate art.] The author had the same desire that I had as a young mom; to introduce my children to art masterpieces.  Not only does DiCicco introduce major works of art in her board book, she emphasizes a theme that is dear to my mom's heart - that our children ARE our works of art.    

Tonight as I was working on posts for Fireflies, I received a text from Julie Hagan - "You have to see this wonderful book I've found."   Yes, it was You are my Work of Art, by Sue DiCicco.  She then linked the book to a song that was very special to both of us as new moms.  If you know it, the mention of it will bring tears to your eyes.  If you are a young parent (ie you were born in the '70's-'80's), then I'm excited to introduce this song to you, Masterpiece by Sandi Patty.   (Thanks for reminding me, Julie!)   I've posted the lyrics to Masterpiece below.  It has been remastered from when we first heard it (in the '80s) and is on her album entitled, "A Mother's Prayer".
Enjoy, as we celebrate the masterpieces created by God's own hands and placed in ours!

Click here to listen to the song.
Before you had a name or opened up your eyes
Or anyone could recognize your face.
You were being formed so delicate in size
Secluded in God's safe and hidden place.

With your little tiny hands and little tiny feet
And little eyes that shimmer like a pearl
He breathed in you a song and to make it all complete
He brought the masterpiece into the world.

You are a masterpiece
A new creation He has formed
And you're as soft and fresh as a snowy winter morn.
And I'm so glad that God has given you to me
Little Lamb of God, you are a masterpiece.

And now you're growing up your life's a miracle
Everytime I look at you I stand in awe
Because I see in you a reflection of me
And you'll always be my little lamb from God

And as your life goes on each day
How I pray that you will see
Just how much your life has meant to me.

And I'm so proud of you
What else is there to say?

Just be the masterpiece He created you to be.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to respond. You are an encouragement to the Fireflies Team.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home