Fireflies: March Moments: Beware of Monsters         

Mar 4, 2012

March Moments: Beware of Monsters


My husband and I sit on the couch winding down from the day and our second born calls out for me.  I go into the bedroom he and his older brother share.  He’s laying there in his bed, 4 years old, his eyes filled with anxiety.  “Mom, I can’t fall asleep, I’m afraid.”  What are you afraid of I ask.  “Monsters”, he says.   He had been struggling for several weeks with this fear, and although we didn’t let him watch shows with scary or inappropriate content, still his mind filled with scary images and thoughts as he lay in bed at night.   At the same time I talk to him I prayed and asked the Lord what to do.  Then it came to me -  I needed to put a sword in his hand.  I had him sit up and told him, “I’m going to teach you a bible verse tonight, and each time you feel afraid I want you to say this until you feel better”.  

2 Timothy 1:7...
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

As we practiced it together we made up hand motions to reinforce it in his mind.  I wrote the verse on a piece of paper and taped it above his bed.  


Now ten years later he has a very strong and secure way about him.  He recently drew this picture and it brought me right back to that time when he was such a little guy trying to deal with some very big feelings.  


Enjoy your "moments"!
Lanise Santala

Labels: ,